Friday, August 31, 2007

-Touch me baby tainted love-

"I need to see you face to face because I'm never as good as when you're there, and I can see myself the way you look at me." - Rusell Hammond to Penny Lane in Almost Famous

I've been away for over a month. That is because I went traveling around Europe and it was very inspiring, relaxing, insightful, just something I needed. Now I'm back home and reading a lot and of all books I got myself the new Pamela des Barres "Let's Spend the Night Together" and I'm almost done reading it.

Not sure if everyone would like it but if you're really into this rock star/music lifestyle you have to read it. Of course you can guess that majority of this book is about hooking up/blow jobs with famous or not so famous musicians and what being a groupie really means.
Word "groupie" does not carry the same meaning it had in 60s and 70s but again music today is not as great as in 60s and 70s so figure it the way you want. Today groupie usually means you're a slut.

I admit I was always attracted to this whole music world and grew up around family who was musically oriented. But even when I started hanging out with musicians/bands I never considered myself a groupie because they didn't interest me as someone who I would like to go to bed with. Sure attraction is always there but not everyone is worth it. The whole point was being around music and learning about it and sharing ideas and opinions. I'm not fascinated with rock starts because I grew up around musicians and to me they're just people who are good at their job (some of them not so). They are people who like attention, never want to grow up, don't care about consequences, self-distructive, live for today, doing drugs, have sex, etc.

I did date guys who were in bands but I was never part of the whole groupie thing nor did I put those guys on pedestal. At one point you get annoyed with their immaturity and not wanting to take responsibility for things they do. It's ok to want fame, sell records, sleep around, but what rock & roll was in 60s is not what it is today. There's no magic to it or that freedom it used to have plus everyone can be in the rock band today and this whole rock style lifestyle lost its deadly charm.

There are so many posers who don't care about the real meaning of making music but rather about getting attention, earning lots of money and screwing around. That alone has nothing to do with music nor it makes you attractive no matter how you look with that guitar on your hips. So to make it short I always considered myself true lover of music and cared more about the whole process of making a song and what inspired that person to write it on the piece of paper than chase someone only because he is in the band. But one has to admit there are some hot and talented musicians that you can't help but drool all over. For example, one of my dreams would be to meet guys from Rammstein only because I admire their creativity and talent. Hopefully I will meet one of them.

Pamela des Barres book made me think about it all. If anything being groupie in 60s and hanging out with Led Zeppelin was way more fun than today's random band hang outs.

I still love music more than you:-)

No comments: